My House in Hurricane Katrina

   Twelve years ago, my house got destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. I was about one and a half years old and my little sister was about 7 months. We lived on 324 Spencer Ave. in the Lakeview area. Once the rain water hit the top of the levy, it broke. It broke right on our street so we got the flooding first and damage the worst of all. Luckily, we were out of New Orleans and living in our house in Natchez, Mississippi so we weren't struggling to get out. I remember very vividly what the storm was like while we were in Mississippi. I remember the door bursting open from wind and our power going out and being very frightened.

   Once we went back to New Orleans to see what was left of our house-which wasn't really anything- we never tried to re-build. Our house got 13 feet of water so there was nothing we could save. I remember going to live with some family in Baton Rouge for 6 months, then we finally bought the house I live in now. About maybe 5 years ago, we visited our old house in New Orleans. All that was left was the bathroom tiled floor my sister and I shared and a small part of our driveway and the big beautiful tree that pulled our house together. This past January we visited the house again. There is now a very pretty new house there and only the  small part of our driveway and the big tree are left.

 

Comments

  1. I'm sorry that happened to y'all! It must have been super scary, especially being that young.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Free post

reading response to VOMEW

research update